The holidays present a special opportunity for you to visit with senior loved ones that you may not have been able to spend a lot of quality time with for a while. It is also a great time to make sure that your senior loved one’s holiday is safe as well as festive. Whether your loved one is enjoying the season in your home or his or her own, following these safety tips can ensure that everyone’s holiday is happy and bright.
In the senior’s home, or yours if he or she will be spending time there:
- Use simple decorations that don’t cause clutter. Always ensure that there is plenty of room to walk.
- Keep extension cords out of the way to avoid tripping.
- Replace candles with bright centerpieces of fruit or flowers, or consider using battery powered candles.
While we often like to enjoy the colorful holiday lighting on its own, keep these things in mind when seniors are around:
- Make sure that all locations are properly lit. Dim holiday lights can hide tripping hazards and make it difficult to see around furniture.
- Add a nightlight in the guest bedroom and bathroom and make sure light switches are easily accessible.
With all the decorations, tripping hazards can become an issue for seniors during the holidays, so remember to:
- Keep floors clutter-free.
- Keep outdoor walkways clear.
- Arrange furniture so people can easily move around it.
- Add non-slip pads under rugs.
- Keep rambunctious pets from running around while the senior is walking through the house.
- Designate a special out-of-the-way area for children to play with their new toys while the senior is visiting.
It’s important to recognize the special care needs of seniors during the holiday season in order to make their home, or visits to your home, safe and fun. If you’d like more information on home modifications to help make holidays safer for seniors, or any other in-home senior care needs, contact the Chicago home care experts at AAbiding Care through our online form or by calling 847-698-1400.